Monday, March 5, 2012

Ashamed of Being a Man

Yeah, I’m ashamed of being a man in this male dominated society. I loathe the fact that I belong to this majority consisting of insensitive, filthy hypocrites. Every day, I come across instances which only fuel up the fire burning inside me.
I feel disgusting when a girl is raped by a man or a group of men. How can anyone do such horrible acts!! Even more disgusting thing is the reasons used for justifying their act, like “The man just lost his control; he couldn’t control himself”. What the fuck! There are much better ways to cope with 'losing your control' than committing a rape. And what ‘control’ are they talking about? Has anyone ever heard of a case, when a woman lost her control and raped a guy? Is the justification of losing control meant only for men?
Another vile reason given by the male chauvinists is, “Provocative attire of women is responsible for the rape attempts”. Complete bullshit. I can say only one thing- a man who’s in a ‘mood’ of rape, will rape any girl in front of him irrespective of her attire. Whether she is wearing a skirt or jeans or a salwar-kameez, it doesn’t matter to him! So please for heaven’s sake, if you can’t help to stop rape attempts, at least don’t insult a woman’s integrity by stating such reasons.
Another example, showing the hypocrisy of our society, is the issue of virginity. If a man is not virgin it doesn’t matter; in fact, many times it adds up to their playboy image. However, if a woman is not virgin, it causes helluva troubles. A woman’s character is judged by her virginity, whereas the man is the supreme being. There is no need of judging his character!
I feel ashamed when a working woman is expected to do all the household chores, as it’s a part of her ‘responsibility’, but at the same time, a man enjoys himself at home because he is believed to be the ‘master’ of the home! Women are expected to do services for her master.
I feel ashamed when I read reports of imbalanced sex ratio, caused due to the killing of the girl fetuses. I can never figure out how this happens in the houses where numerous female goddesses are worshipped!
I can’t look into the eyes of my female friends while discussing women empowerment and other such issues with them because somewhere deep inside they do think, “Why are you discussing this, after all, you are also one of them!” I don’t blame them for this.
Another abominable instance to me is when I see or hear about the people harassing women in the squalid slum areas to the beautifully carved corporate offices. Everywhere the same situation prevails; only the approach differs.
I feel abashed when I see the different rules made for the two sexes. Parents give their son complete freedom- he’s allowed to be outside until late hours, take part in different activities and much more, but the same chances are not provided to daughters. They are denied these rights under two pretexts- their own security, and of course, the so-called “norms” of society!!
Is such a future possible, where every woman would enjoy the same rights as that of a man and no such repulsive incidents would take place?
As ‘Dumbledore’ has said- “It’s our choices that show our true character, far more than our abilities. So I guess there is no need to say anything now. I hope this would make the society dwell on these happenings and at least some men would change and take some initiative, because, after all, it’s our choices that would determine our future.
And I guess, if the things continue the same way then the day is not far when God himself will say, “I feel ashamed for creating men”.

19 comments:

  1. there should be an awesome ticky thing too.

    love that u enabled anonymous comments

    -anki

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanx.
    I didn't knw about anonymous comment posting.
    thanx to kritika for that....!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi!
    I liked your thoughts very much. I was touched. I am proud of you. Keep writing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well said Manas. Atleast you made an attempt towards this cause. And i tell you the day is not far when women would stand equally with men. A sensitive thinking is needed which will come by education(not just literacy)....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanx! Yeah, I really hope,that day would come soon. Afterall there are some kinds of hope which help keep us alive.

    ReplyDelete
  6. very well written..it clearly shows your disgust and frustration towards the 'hypocrisy'. I actually believe the same things that you stated, specially the worshiping of goddesses' instance..keep writing:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanx Sakshi.....Yeah, sometimes the society really disgusts me. Hope things will change soon.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's so refreshing to read such a piece from a man's viewpoint, as much of the discourse on such issues is directed by women and hence gets termed as 'feminism' - something that people consider either scary or boring. This is nice. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanx for reading this.:)
    I have heard a lot about this 'feminism' thing, but I don't believe in that. This is another example where man disregard any serious attempts by a woman.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Feminism is called so not because it is directed by women!!!!!!!!!!! Lmao!
    Infact, it is said that Charles Fourier invented the term 'feminism'
    Sooooo this is another instance where people don't really know feminism but discuss it

    Maybe this can help - feminismlove.wordpress.com

    There is a piece on it - (Anti)Feminist Arguments(?)

    It deals with some common misunderstandings about feminism.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have nothing to be ashamed of, you have the right idea about equal rights to citizens. The more I see young men like you, the more hope I have of an improved society. Try influencing friends in small ways; you have more power than you imagine. Cheers! Here's to the future with youth like you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Anonymous Friend- That is exactly what I try to tell my friends when we discuss this topic. Feminism is not directed by woman.
    Thanx for sharing that link.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. @storyofwomen- Thank you ma'am for your support. I'll always try my best to create such an improved society.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice.
    Reading quotes is one thing and using them at right place is other and I must appreciate you are too good at that!
    Seems you are an avid reader.
    Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  15. @Nancy- Thank you...! That's a lovely compliment.
    :)
    And yeah, I guess I'm an avid reader. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey Manas..
    I wish all the people in the society could have a mindset like you..:)
    But...
    Anyways I loved it..:)
    Proud of you..:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. @ Anonymous friend- Thanx a lot for your appreciation. :)
    I'm glad that you loved it.
    :D

    ReplyDelete
  18. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete